Friday, July 16, 2010

If Social Justice is Cool Consider Me Miles Davis!!

A year ago I began a process that would alter almost every aspect of my life...I took a leap of faith and joined a program called Mission Year. I joined Mission Year in hopes that I would learn how to better Love and Serve my fellow man. I knew that this would not be achieved over night...I knew it would be a process
The following is the affect of that process.


My interest in being an advocate for the voiceless began long before my journey with Mission Year.
It started with a small summer camp in southwest Missouri, where a punk 15 year old kid came face to face with the thing he feared the most, the truth. The ugly truth that people in our country are not treated equally. In short I came to the realization that we are all surrounded by Injustice.

Injustice is almost everywhere, in our actions as a society, in the small cultural euphemisms we use, in the unsaid thoughts that we think when we see someone who is "different". This is not the way things should be, but ever since the fall of man injustice has been one of the daily struggles that we as humans must face. In this entry I won't go into how the word Righteousness in the bible is exchangeable with justice. When the scriptures call us to be a righteous people it is saying that we need to be a just and fair people and that we need to bring God's redemptive Justice to the dark corners of our society where Injustice reigns supreme.

As most people are aware there are countless programs here in America and abroad that focus strictly on what are now considered "Social Justice Issues". These programs work at both the local, state, national, and international level to ensure the injustices throughout our world are being intentionally opposed. Programs like The mentoring Project, To Write Love on Her Arms, Living Water, Invisible Children, and so many others should work as an inspiration to us to continue our fight against injustice.

Fighting Injustice is not an easy task, for many of us we have socially ingrained hatred, and fear that we can not just ignore but rather that we must face and defeat. Like the "great commission" the call to fight injustice starts in a local format and expands wider and wider until the entire globe is consumed in beautiful redemptive justice.

So to be concise, because the time for more in-depth conversation about living a just lifestyle has yet to come, we must look at our surroundings and find the injustices in our community, identify them, and face them however that must be done.

There is more to come on this thought but in the time in-between take a look around your neighborhood/city and ask yourself what injustices plague you and your fellow man day in and day out, and what can you do about it?

This may be the most important question in your life... In this moment how can I better serve both God and my fellow man?

More to be said...

Peace, Love, Happiness
Isaac T Rice



Sites mentioned
www.twloha.com
www.water.cc
www.thementoringproject.org
www.invisiblechildren.com

No comments:

Post a Comment